AHS 101 - Introduction to Health Professions
Class: 2 Credits: 2
This course provides a study of the health professions and the health care industry.
- Health Careers
- Working in Health Care
- Communication in Health Care
- Health Care Industry
- Working with Patients
- Legal and Ethical Responsibilities
- Professional Development
Textbook information can be found on the Book Inn Web site www.sccsc.edu/bookstore
Grades are not rounded. Students must earn a grade of C or higher to earn credit for AHS 101.
A 90 - 100
B 80 - 89
C 70 - 79
D 60 - 69
F 0 - 59
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Identify and discuss the various health care professionals classified under Therapeutic and Treatment Occupations, Diagnostic Occupations, Health Information Management Occupations and Environmental Occupations.
- Examine the health care industry today to include technology, specialization, aging population and costs.
- Summarize how ethical and legal responsibilities can impact health care workers.
- Define professionalism and describe its importance to health care.
- State the importance of communication and how communication relates to health care.
- Develop the professional skills needed for following up on job leads and creating an organized resume.
For SCC Online Courses:
If the course you are taking is online, please review the SCC Online Policies that include:
- Required materials for all online courses
- Mandatory Attendance Requirement
- Proctored Exams
Standard SCC Course Policies:
Please review the Standard SCC Course Polices on the following topics:
- Academic Integrity
- Academic Misconduct
- Add/Drop period
- Appeals Process
- Class Attendance
- Classroom Behavior (traditional and online)
- Classroom Conduct/Expectations
- Lab Procedures (general SCC policy regarding this)
- Online Confidentiality
- Services For Students with Disabilities
- Withdrawal Policy
Official Course Syllabus