Nov 24, 2020
AHS 102 - Medical Terminology
Class: 3 Credits: 3
This course covers medical terms, including roots, prefixes, and suffixes, with emphasis on spelling, definition, and pronunciation.
Prerequisite(s): Take ENG 032 and RDG 032 .
- General components of Medical Language
- Diagnostic and Therapeutic Interventions
- Musculoskeletal System
- Circulatory System
- Respiratory System
- Digestive System
- Urinary System
- Reproductive System
- Integumentary System
- Nervous System and Pyschologic Disorders
- Special Senses
- Endocrine System
Textbook information can be found on the Book Inn Web site www.sccsc.edu/bookstore
Grades are not rounded. Students must earn a grade of C or higher to earn credit for AHS 102.
A 90 - 100
B 80 - 89
C 70 - 79
D 60 - 69
F 0 - 59
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Define the types of healthcare terms as well as word roots, combining forms, prefixes, and suffixes.
- Use basic word roots, suffixes and prefixes accurately to build medical terms.
- Define directional terms and anatomic planes of the body.
- Relate the terminology to the names, locations, and functions of the major organs of the body systems.
- Define medical terms related to selected diseases.
- Define selected diagnostic and surgical procedural terms for each body system.
For SCC Online Courses:
If the course you are taking is online, please review the SCC Online Policies that include:
- Required materials for all online courses
- Mandatory Attendance Requirement
- Proctored Exams
Standard SCC Course Policies:
Please review the Standard SCC Course Polices on the following topics:
- Academic Integrity
- Academic Misconduct
- Add/Drop period
- Appeals Process
- Class Attendance
- Classroom Behavior (traditional and online)
- Classroom Conduct/Expectations
- Lab Procedures (general SCC policy regarding this)
- Online Confidentiality
- Services For Students with Disabilities
- Withdrawal Policy
Official Course Syllabus