Oct 30, 2020
AHS 144 - Phlebotomy Practicum
Class: 3 Lab: 6 Credits: 5
This course provides a detailed study and practice of phlebotomy procedures utilized in hospital settings, clinical facilities, and physician’s offices.
Prerequisite(s): Take ENG 032 , RDG 032 and AHS 163 with a minimum grade of “C” or have current SC Nurse Aide Certificate.
- Laboratory areas/departments
- CLIA CLSI, NAACLS, JCAHO, CAP, and AABB in regards to laboratory
- OSHA regulations for the laboratory
- Blood collection equipment and additives
- Anatomy/physiology of human body cardiovascular system
- Capillary puncture
- Procedure for blood collection
Textbook information can be found on the Book Inn Web site www.sccsc.edu/bookstore
- BDEC Foam Baby Foot/Blood collection cards
- SCC Clinical ID
- PCT Uniform as outlined in the SCC PCT Program Handbook
- SCC PCT Program Handbook
An overall grade of C or higher is required for transferability.
A 90 - 100
B 80 - 89
C 70 - 79
D 60 - 69
F 0 - 59
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Correlate the major areas and departments of the clinical laboratory with the laboratory tests ordered to evaluate a patient’s pathological condition or illness.
- Practice standard safety precautions in the clinical laboratory through the use of personal protective equipment (PPE), handwashing, and other environmental controls as mandated by OSHA.
- Identify the collection equipment, various types of additives used, special precautions necessary and substances that can interfere in clinical analysis of blood constituents.
- Demonstrate proper techniques to perform capillary puncture.
- Describe the general consideration in blood collection.
- Complete 25 successful unassisted venipunctures in a clinical setting.
For SCC Online Courses:
If the course you are taking is online, please review the SCC Online Policies that include:
- Required materials for all online courses
- Mandatory Attendance Requirement
- Proctored Exams
Standard SCC Course Policies:
Please review the Standard SCC Course Polices on the following topics:
- Academic Integrity
- Academic Misconduct
- Add/Drop period
- Appeals Process
- Class Attendance
- Classroom Behavior (traditional and online)
- Classroom Conduct/Expectations
- Lab Procedures (general SCC policy regarding this)
- Online Confidentiality
- Services For Students with Disabilities
- Withdrawal Policy
Official Course Syllabus