Nov 24, 2020
AHS 163 - Long -Term Care
Class: 2 Lab: 9 Credits: 5
This course emphasizes the basic skills needed to care for residents in the long-term care setting. Students will apply practical use of these skills through clinical experiences in a long-term care facility.
- Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Infection Control
- Safety/ Emergency Procedures
- Promoting Resident’s Independence
- Respecting Resident’s Rights
- Role of the Nurse Aide
- Basic Nursing Skills
- Care of Cognitively Impaired Residents
- Mental Health and Social Needs
- Personal Care Skills
- Basic Restorative Services
Textbook information can be found on the Book Inn Web site www.sccsc.edu/bookstore
- Blood pressure cuff (adult/ manual),
- Watch with second hand
- White shoes
- PCT Uniform as outlined in SCC PCT Program Handbook
- SCC PCT Student Handbook
An overall grade of C or higher is required for transferability.
A 90 - 100
B 80 - 89
C 70 - 79
D 60 - 69
F 0 - 59
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Demonstrate proficiency in infection control, safety/emergency procedures, basic nursing skills, and basic restorative skills.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the role of the nurse aide, scope of practice of the nurse aide, laws governing healthcare, and code of ethics of nursing.
- Demonstrate proficiency in listening, writing, oral, and presentation skills.
- Anticipate and demonstrate care for residents with consideration of physical, emotional, psychosocial, cultural, spiritual, and developmental needs.
- Apply a plan of care that addresses resident’s healthcare needs through consultation and following protocols in conjunction with the interdisciplinary healthcare team.
- Demonstrate knowledge of normal versus abnormal anatomy and physiology of the human body and how aging affects the human body.
- Demonstrate proficiency in promoting resident rights and respecting resident rights.
For SCC Online Courses:
If the course you are taking is online, please review the SCC Online Policies that include:
- Required materials for all online courses
- Mandatory Attendance Requirement
- Proctored Exams
Standard SCC Course Policies:
Please review the Standard SCC Course Polices on the following topics:
- Academic Integrity
- Academic Misconduct
- Add/Drop period
- Appeals Process
- Class Attendance
- Classroom Behavior (traditional and online)
- Classroom Conduct/Expectations
- Lab Procedures (general SCC policy regarding this)
- Online Confidentiality
- Services For Students with Disabilities
- Withdrawal Policy
Official Course Syllabus