Oct 25, 2020
ART 101 - Art History and Appreciation
Class: 3 Credits: 3
This is an introductory course to the history and appreciation of art, including the elements and principles of the visual arts.
Prerequisite(s): Take ENG 100 and RDG 100 .
- What is Art?
- Subject, Form, and Content
- Elements of art
- Principles of design
- Media and Processes
- Context (History and/or Theme)
Textbook information can be found on the Book Inn Web site www.sccsc.edu/bookstore
- Access to a computer with Microsoft 2007 or equivalent
- Ability to format documents in .doc, .docx, .rtf or .html
- Internet access
An overall grade of C or higher is required for transferability.
A 90 - 100
B 80 - 89
C 70 - 79
D 60 - 69
F 0 - 59
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Define the elements of art and principles of design.
- Differentiate between subject, form, and content, and various artistic media.
- Analyze artworks based on their form and content.
- Evaluate artistic themes in relationship to style, cultural convention, and/or historic period.
For SCC Online Courses:
If the course you are taking is online, please review the SCC Online Policies that include:
- Required materials for all online courses
- Mandatory Attendance Requirement
- Proctored Exams
Standard SCC Course Policies:
Please review the Standard SCC Course Polices on the following topics:
- Academic Integrity
- Academic Misconduct
- Add/Drop period
- Appeals Process
- Class Attendance
- Classroom Behavior (traditional and online)
- Classroom Conduct/Expectations
- Lab Procedures (general SCC policy regarding this)
- Online Confidentiality
- Services For Students with Disabilities
- Withdrawal Policy
Official Course Syllabus