Oct 30, 2020
ART 211 - Introduction to Painting
Class: 2 Lab: 3 Credits: 3
This course is an introduction to materials and techniques of painting.
Prerequisite(s): Take ART 111 and ART 121 with a minimum grade of “C”.
- Medium: Acrylic Paint
- Processes: Modeling, Scumbling, Impasto, Pentimenti, and Glazing
- Color Theory: Harmonies/Schemes
- Representation: Illusionistic Realism and Abstraction
Textbook information can be found on the Book Inn Web site www.sccsc.edu/bookstore
- Art Supplies (The Instructor will provide a list of required supplies the first day of class.)
- Additional supplies may be suggested by the instructor over the course of the semester.
An overall grade of C or higher is required for transferability.
A 90 - 100
B 80 - 89
C 70 - 79
D 60 - 69
F 0 - 59
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Identify, use, and explain the basic vocabulary and concepts associated with painting.
- Create projects in representational format that demonstrate a working knowledge of the elements of art, principles of design, color theory, and basic painting materials and processes.
- Establish standards of craftsmanship and presentation.
- Demonstrate written and oral communication skills through formal analysis, critique, and self-assessment.
For SCC Online Courses:
If the course you are taking is online, please review the SCC Online Policies that include:
- Required materials for all online courses
- Mandatory Attendance Requirement
- Proctored Exams
Standard SCC Course Policies:
Please review the Standard SCC Course Polices on the following topics:
- Academic Integrity
- Academic Misconduct
- Add/Drop period
- Appeals Process
- Class Attendance
- Classroom Behavior (traditional and online)
- Classroom Conduct/Expectations
- Lab Procedures (general SCC policy regarding this)
- Online Confidentiality
- Services For Students with Disabilities
- Withdrawal Policy
Official Course Syllabus