Oct 25, 2020
AST 102 - Stellar Astronomy
Class: 3 Lab: 3 Credits: 4
This course is a descriptive survey of the universe with emphasis on basic physical concepts and galactic and extra- galactic objects. Related topics of current interest are included in the course.
Prerequisite(s): Take AST 101 with a minimum grade of “C”.
- Our Star
- Surveying the Stars
- Star Stuff
- The Bizarre Stellar Graveyard
- Our Galaxy
- Galaxies and the Foundation of Modern Cosmology
- Dark Matter, Dark Energy, and the Fate of the Universe
- The Beginning of Time
- Life in the Universe
Textbook information can be found on the Book Inn Web site www.sccsc.edu/bookstore
- Scientific, graphic calculator (TI series)
- MasteringAstronomy.com student access kit
- Voyager: SkyGazer College Edition v3.7 CD-ROM, 4/E
A 90 - 100
B 80 - 89
C 70 - 79
D 60 - 69
F 0 - 59
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Describe the Sun’s structure, compositions, energy source and its mechanism, surface phenomena, and connection to Earth.
- Describe the property of stars and star clusters, patterns in the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram, the life cycle of a star about star birth, evolution and death, and how mass of star determines its fate.
- Describe the consequences of stellar life, the star’s basic properties and structure, and evolution of galaxies.
- Describe the structure and motion and history of our galaxy, Milky Way galaxy, and the various techniques used by astronomers to determine the distance.
- Describe the dark matter and dark energy, structure formation and fate of the universe, and the large cosmological model.
- Retrace the origin of life on earth, and describe efforts in the search for life elsewhere in the universe.
- Use computer software to identify celestial objects and simulate celestial movements.
For SCC Online Courses:
If the course you are taking is online, please review the SCC Online Policies that include:
- Required materials for all online courses
- Mandatory Attendance Requirement
- Proctored Exams
Standard SCC Course Policies:
Please review the Standard SCC Course Polices on the following topics:
- Academic Integrity
- Academic Misconduct
- Add/Drop period
- Appeals Process
- Class Attendance
- Classroom Behavior (traditional and online)
- Classroom Conduct/Expectations
- Lab Procedures (general SCC policy regarding this)
- Online Confidentiality
- Services For Students with Disabilities
- Withdrawal Policy
Official Course Syllabus