BIO 105 - Principles of Biology
Class: 3 Lab: 3 Credits: 4
This course is an introductory biology course, unifying biology concepts and principles at all levels.
Prerequisite(s): Take ENG 100 , RDG 100 , MAT 032 and (BIO 100 or High School Biology); all with a minimum grade of “C”.
- Characteristics and organization of life
- Chemical properties of life
- Cell structure and composition
- Cellular respiration and photosynthesis
- DNA replication and cell division
- Sexual reproduction and meiosis
- Genetics and patterns of inheritance
- Evolution and diversity of life
Textbook information can be found on the Book Inn Web site www.sccsc.edu/bookstore
Any additional materials may be provided by the Instructor
An overall grade of C or higher is required for transferability.
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Identify the characteristics of a living organism.
- Identify and describe the chemical building blocks of living organisms.
- Describe cellular structure and the role of cell components.
- Describe energy production in various cell types.
- Describe processes essential in cell division and sexual reproduction.
- Solve problems and identify patterns of inheritance using Mendelian genetics.
- Identify the driving forces behind evolution.
- Perform laboratory assignments, including collecting data and formulating conclusions based on experimental results.
For SCC Online Courses:
If the course you are taking is online, please review the SCC Online Policies that include:
- Required materials for all online courses
- Mandatory Attendance Requirement
- Proctored Exams
Standard SCC Course Policies:
Please review the Standard SCC Course Polices on the following topics:
- Academic Integrity
- Academic Misconduct
- Add/Drop period
- Appeals Process
- Class Attendance
- Classroom Behavior (traditional and online)
- Classroom Conduct/Expectations
- Lab Procedures (general SCC policy regarding this)
- Online Confidentiality
- Services For Students with Disabilities
- Withdrawal Policy
Official Course Syllabus