Sep 30, 2020
ACC 124 - Individual Tax Procedures
Class: 3 Credits: 3
This course is a study of the basic income tax structure from the standpoint of the individual, including the preparation of individual income tax returns.
Prerequisite(s): Take ACC 101 or ACC 111 with a minimum grade of “C”.
- History of the tax system
- Capital Gains and Losses
- Payroll Taxes
- Credits and Special Taxes
- Earned Income Credit, Child Tax Credit, and Education Tax Credits
- Tax forms for a Partnership and Corporation
- Tax Planning
- Prepare Schedules A, B, C, D, E, SE
- Prepare Tax Forms 1040, 1040A and 1040EZ
- Retirement Plans
Textbook information can be found on the Book Inn Web site
Computer and Internet Access
An overall grade of C or higher is required for transferability.
A 90 - 100
B 80 - 89
C 70 - 79
D 60 - 69
F 0 - 59
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Summarize and apply the components of an individual income tax return.
- Differentiate between the tax treatment of gross income and exclusions.
- Record business expenses, retirement plans, and employee expenses on tax forms.
- Record itemized deductions and credits.
- Apply various depreciation methods and calculate capital gains and losses.
- Record withholdings, estimated payments and payroll taxes on appropriate tax forms.
- Apply tax concepts to partnerships and corporations.
- Identify effective tax administration and tax planning techniques.
For SCC Online Courses:
If the course you are taking is online, please review the SCC Online Policies that include:
- Required materials for all online courses
- Mandatory Attendance Requirement
- Proctored Exams
Face Covering Requirements:
All faculty, staff and students must wear a face mask/covering at all times (absent a medical condition) on all SCC campuses when safe social distancing measures are not possible or difficult to follow. For further details, refer to the Student Guidelines for Face Coverings and Social Distancing on the SCC Coronavirus COVID-19 Information page.
Standard SCC Course Policies:
Please review the Standard SCC Course Polices on the following topics:
- Academic Integrity
- Academic Misconduct
- Add/Drop period
- Appeals Process
- Class Attendance
- Classroom Behavior (traditional and online)
- Classroom Conduct/Expectations
- Lab Procedures (general SCC policy regarding this)
- Online Confidentiality
- Services For Students with Disabilities
- Withdrawal Policy
Official Course Syllabus