Sep 30, 2020
ART 121 - 2-D Design Fundamentals
Class: 2 Lab: 3 Credits: 3
This foundation course covers the visual elements and principles of design including color theory. Projects in a variety of media focus on compositional organization and the development of design skills.
Prerequisite(s): Take ENG 032 , MAT 032 , RDG 100 with a minimum grade of “C” required.
- Design Elements: Line, Shape, Value, Color, Space, Texture (Illusionary), Time
- Design Organization: Harmony, Balance, Proportion, Dominance, Movement, Economy, Contrast, Emphasis, Repetition, Rhythm, Direction, Grid, Pattern, Figure/Ground
- Black & White Media: Pencil, Marker, Ink, Collage, Acrylic Paint
- Color Media: Collage, Acrylic Paint
- Prang/Artist’s Color System
- Color Harmonies/Schemes: Complementary, Analogous, Triadic, Split Complementary, Double Split Complementary (Tetradic)
Textbook information can be found on the Book Inn Web site
ART 121 Kit
An overall grade of C or higher is required for transferability.
A 90 - 100
B 80 - 89
C 70 - 79
D 60 - 69
F 0 - 59
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Identify, use, and explain the basic vocabulary and concepts associated with two-dimensional design.
- Create projects in non-representational format that demonstrate a working knowledge of the elements of art, principles of design, color theory, and basic two-dimensional materials and processes.
- Establish standards of craftsmanship and presentation.
- Demonstrate written and oral communication skills through formal analysis, critique, and self-assessment.
For SCC Online Courses:
If the course you are taking is online, please review the SCC Online Policies that include:
- Required materials for all online courses
- Mandatory Attendance Requirement
- Proctored Exams
Face Covering Requirements:
All faculty, staff and students must wear a face mask/covering at all times (absent a medical condition) on all SCC campuses when safe social distancing measures are not possible or difficult to follow. For further details, refer to the Student Guidelines for Face Coverings and Social Distancing on the SCC Coronavirus COVID-19 Information page.
Standard SCC Course Policies:
Please review the Standard SCC Course Polices on the following topics:
- Academic Integrity
- Academic Misconduct
- Add/Drop period
- Appeals Process
- Class Attendance
- Classroom Behavior (traditional and online)
- Classroom Conduct/Expectations
- Lab Procedures (general SCC policy regarding this)
- Online Confidentiality
- Services For Students with Disabilities
- Withdrawal Policy
Official Course Syllabus