Oct 29, 2020
CPT 101 - Introduction to Computers
Class: 3 Credits: 3
This course covers basic computer history, theory and applications, including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, and the operating system.
Prerequisite(s): Take ENG 032 and MAT 032 and RDG 032 .
- The history of the PC
- Differences among laptop, tablet, desktop, and server computers
- General categories of software programs and applications
- How operating system software interacts with applications and hardware
- Digital security risks and cybercriminals
- Types of Internet and network attacks (malware, botnets and denial of service attacks)
- Preventing unauthorized computer access and use
- Network Basics
- Getting started and working with Windows 8
- File Management
- Cloud Computing and File Sharing
- Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, OneNote
- Using Email in a professional setting
Textbook information can be found on the Book Inn Web site
- Computer with Internet Access, Firefox or Chrome browser, Java, and anti-virus software.
- ISBN 9780134787862 MyITLab 2016 w/ Pearson Access Card for GO! Office 2016 w/ Technology in Action 14e bundled with printed GO! Office 2016, Vol 1 textbook. This textbook and Access card is available for purchase in the SCC bookstore.
Note: Both the printed text book and Access card are required.
- Microsoft Office 2016 Professional Edition (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, OneNote). This software is available to SCC students at no cost through Microsoft Office 365.
- OneDrive account
- Access to the college’s portal
A grade of C is required for all course work.
A 90 - 100
B 80 - 89
C 70 - 79
D 60 - 69
F 0 - 59
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic computer concepts.
- Demonstrate basic features and uses of the Windows operating system.
- Create common business documents utilizing current Microsoft Office applications.
- Create and communicate information utilizing electronic collaboration tools.
- Evaluate and apply current technology to protect digital information.
For SCC Online Courses:
If the course you are taking is online, please review the SCC Online Policies that include:
- Required materials for all online courses
- Mandatory Attendance Requirement
- Proctored Exams
Face Covering Requirements:
All faculty, staff and students must wear a face mask/covering at all times (absent a medical condition) on all SCC campuses when safe social distancing measures are not possible or difficult to follow. For further details, refer to the Student Guidelines for Face Coverings and Social Distancing on the SCC Coronavirus COVID-19 Information page.
Standard SCC Course Policies:
Please review the Standard SCC Course Polices on the following topics:
- Academic Integrity
- Academic Misconduct
- Add/Drop period
- Appeals Process
- Class Attendance
- Classroom Behavior (traditional and online)
- Classroom Conduct/Expectations
- Lab Procedures (general SCC policy regarding this)
- Online Confidentiality
- Services For Students with Disabilities
- Withdrawal Policy
Official Course Syllabus