Oct 28, 2020
ENG 031 - Developmental English Basics
Class: 3 Credits: 3
Developmental English Basics is intended for students who need assistance with basic writing skills. Based on assessment of students’ needs, instruction includes basic grammar and usage, mechanics, sentence structure, and basic writing. Assignments will include the writing of a variety of unified and coherent compositions with evidence of a controlling idea, introduction, body, and conclusion.
- Sentence structure
- Grammar and usage
Textbook information can be found on the Book Inn Web site
- Divider sheets
- Notebook paper
- Pens and pencils
- Small stapler
- Note cards (optional)
- Disk or USB drive for writing assignments
A 90 - 100
B 80 - 89
C 70 - 79
F 0 - 69
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Compose an email appropriate for an academic or business setting, applying the writing process.
- Develop a business writing style, using appropriate language and style.
- Apply basic grammar rules and mechanics while creating simple, compound, and complex sentences in writing.
- Identify the major parts of a sentence to include subjects, verbs, and prepositional phrases.
For SCC Online Courses:
If the course you are taking is online, please review the SCC Online Policies that include:
- Required materials for all online courses
- Mandatory Attendance Requirement
- Proctored Exams
Face Covering Requirements:
All faculty, staff and students must wear a face mask/covering at all times (absent a medical condition) on all SCC campuses when safe social distancing measures are not possible or difficult to follow. For further details, refer to the Student Guidelines for Face Coverings and Social Distancing on the SCC Coronavirus COVID-19 Information page.
Standard SCC Course Policies:
Please review the Standard SCC Course Polices on the following topics:
- Academic Integrity
- Academic Misconduct
- Add/Drop period
- Appeals Process
- Class Attendance
- Classroom Behavior (traditional and online)
- Classroom Conduct/Expectations
- Lab Procedures (general SCC policy regarding this)
- Online Confidentiality
- Services For Students with Disabilities
- Withdrawal Policy
Official Course Syllabus