Feb 27, 2021
ENG 032 - Developmental English
Class: 3 Credits: 3
Developmental English is an intensive review of grammar and usage; mechanics of punctuation, spelling, and capitalization; sentence structure; and the writing process. Evidence of planning, organizing, drafting, editing, and revising are emphasized in this course along with a study of different modes of writing for a variety of rhetorical situations.
Prerequisite(s): Take ENG 031 with a minimum grade of “C”.
- Sentence variety
- Correct sentence structure
- Paragraph writing in various modes
- Paragraph revising and editing
Textbook information can be found on the Book Inn Web site
- College-level dictionary (included)
- Notebook paper
- Pens and pencils
- Small stapler
- Disk for writing assignments
A 90 - 100
B 80 - 89
C 70 - 79
F 0 - 69
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Use the writing process when composing a short composition appropriate for academic setting.
- Write a composition with a clear main idea and supporting details.
- Integrate unity and coherence in a composition.
- Create sentence variety by combining simple sentences.
- Assemble a portfolio of previously written paragraphs applying editing skills.
For SCC Online Courses:
If the course you are taking is online, please review the SCC Online Policies that include:
- Required materials for all online courses
- Mandatory Attendance Requirement
- Proctored Exams
Face Covering Requirements:
All faculty, staff and students must wear a face mask/covering at all times (absent a medical condition) on all SCC campuses when safe social distancing measures are not possible or difficult to follow. For further details, refer to the Student Guidelines for Face Coverings and Social Distancing on the SCC Coronavirus COVID-19 Information page.
Standard SCC Course Policies:
Please review the Standard SCC Course Polices on the following topics:
- Academic Integrity
- Academic Misconduct
- Add/Drop period
- Appeals Process
- Class Attendance
- Classroom Behavior (traditional and online)
- Classroom Conduct/Expectations
- Lab Procedures (general SCC policy regarding this)
- Online Confidentiality
- Services For Students with Disabilities
- Withdrawal Policy
Official Course Syllabus