Feb 27, 2021
RDG 100 - Critical Reading
Class: 3 Credits: 3
This course covers the application of basic reading skills to improve critical comprehension and higher order thinking skills. Non-degree credit
Prerequisite(s): Take RDG 032 .
- Vocabulary Skills
- Main Idea and Supporting Details
- Patterns of Organization
- Critical Thinking
Textbook information can be found on the Book Inn Web site
- 3-ring notebook
- Notebook dividers
- College-level dictionary
- USB, pens and pencils
- Access to a computer capable of formatting documents in Word or RTF
- Internet access
A 90 - 100
B 80 - 89
C 70 - 79
D 60 - 69
F 0 - 59
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Identify the topic and pattern of organization of a selected passage by applying active reading strategies.
- Determine the explicit and implied main idea of a selected passage by using the topic and pattern of organization.
- Annotate a passage by identifying and organizing key points in a text.
- Communicate effectively by writing reflectively and responding orally to a text.
For SCC Online Courses:
If the course you are taking is online, please review the SCC Online Policies that include:
- Required materials for all online courses
- Mandatory Attendance Requirement
- Proctored Exams
Face Covering Requirements:
All faculty, staff and students must wear a face mask/covering at all times (absent a medical condition) on all SCC campuses when safe social distancing measures are not possible or difficult to follow. For further details, refer to the Student Guidelines for Face Coverings and Social Distancing on the SCC Coronavirus COVID-19 Information page.
Standard SCC Course Policies:
Please review the Standard SCC Course Polices on the following topics:
- Academic Integrity
- Academic Misconduct
- Add/Drop period
- Appeals Process
- Class Attendance
- Classroom Behavior (traditional and online)
- Classroom Conduct/Expectations
- Lab Procedures (general SCC policy regarding this)
- Online Confidentiality
- Services For Students with Disabilities
- Withdrawal Policy
Official Course Syllabus