Sep 30, 2020
BIO 105 - Principles of Biology
Class: 3 Lab: 3 Credits: 4
This course is an introductory biology course, unifying biology concepts and principles at all levels.
Prerequisite(s): Take ENG 100 , RDG 100 , MAT 032 and (BIO 100 or High School Biology); all with a minimum grade of “C”.
- Characteristics and organization of life
- Chemical properties of life
- Cell structure and composition
- Cellular respiration and photosynthesis
- DNA replication and cell division
- Sexual reproduction and meiosis
- Genetics and patterns of inheritance
- Evolution and diversity of life
Textbook information can be found on the Book Inn Web site
Any additional materials may be provided by the Instructor
An overall grade of C or higher is required for transferability.
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Identify the characteristics of a living organism.
- Identify and describe the chemical building blocks of living organisms.
- Describe cellular structure and the role of cell components.
- Describe energy production in various cell types.
- Describe processes essential in cell division and sexual reproduction.
- Solve problems and identify patterns of inheritance using Mendelian genetics.
- Identify the driving forces behind evolution.
- Perform laboratory assignments, including collecting data and formulating conclusions based on experimental results.
For SCC Online Courses:
If the course you are taking is online, please review the SCC Online Policies that include:
- Required materials for all online courses
- Mandatory Attendance Requirement
- Proctored Exams
Face Covering Requirements:
All faculty, staff and students must wear a face mask/covering at all times (absent a medical condition) on all SCC campuses when safe social distancing measures are not possible or difficult to follow. For further details, refer to the Student Guidelines for Face Coverings and Social Distancing on the SCC Coronavirus COVID-19 Information page.
Standard SCC Course Policies:
Please review the Standard SCC Course Polices on the following topics:
- Academic Integrity
- Academic Misconduct
- Add/Drop period
- Appeals Process
- Class Attendance
- Classroom Behavior (traditional and online)
- Classroom Conduct/Expectations
- Lab Procedures (general SCC policy regarding this)
- Online Confidentiality
- Services For Students with Disabilities
- Withdrawal Policy
Official Course Syllabus