Apr 20, 2019
AHS 152 - Health Care Procedures II
Class: 5 Lab: 3 Credits: 6
This course includes concurrent coordinated clinical experiences in advanced patient/client care skills.
Corequisite(s): Take AHS 163 with a minimum grade of “C” or have current SC Nurse Aide Certificate.
- Communication, documentation, and interpersonal skills
- Infection control and sterility
- Safety/ Emergency procedures
- Promoting patient’s independence
- Respecting patient’s rights
- Role of the PCT
- Advanced skills for the PCT
- Medication administration
Textbook information can be found on the Book Inn Web site www.sccsc.edu/bookstore
- Blood pressure cuff (adult/ manual)
- Bandage scissors
- Watch with second hand
- PCT Uniform as outlined in the SCC PCT Handbook
- SCC PCT Student Handbook
An overall grade of C or higher is required for transferability.
A 90 - 100
B 80 - 89
C 70 - 79
D 60 - 69
F 0 - 59
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Demonstrate proficiency in infection control, maintaining sterile field, safety/ emergency procedures, advanced skills for the PCT, and medication administration.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the role of the PCT, scope of practice of the PCT, laws governing healthcare, and code of ethics of nursing.
- Demonstrate proficiency in listening, writing, oral, and presentation skills.
- Anticipate and demonstrate care for patients with consideration of physical, emotional, psychosocial, cultural, spiritual, and developmental needs.
- Apply a plan of care that addresses the patient’s healthcare needs through consultation and following protocols in conjunction with the interdisciplinary healthcare team.
- Demonstrate knowledge of normal versus abnormal anatomy and physiology of the human body across the lifespan.
- Demonstrate proficiency in obtaining vital signs; collecting specimens; observing and reporting signs of illness such as but not limited to shortness of breath, coughs, pallor, cyanosis, seizures, etc.
For SCC Online Courses:
If the course you are taking is online, please review the SCC Online Policies that include:
- Required materials for all online courses
- Mandatory Attendance Requirement
- Proctored Exams
Standard SCC Course Policies:
Please review the Standard SCC Course Polices on the following topics:
- Academic Integrity
- Academic Misconduct
- Add/Drop period
- Appeals Process
- Class Attendance
- Classroom Behavior (traditional and online)
- Classroom Conduct/Expectations
- Lab Procedures (general SCC policy regarding this)
- Online Confidentiality
- Services For Students with Disabilities
- Withdrawal Policy
Official Course Syllabus