Jan 19, 2019
ART 121 - 2-D Design Fundamentals
Class: 2 Lab: 3 Credits: 3
This foundation course covers the visual elements and principles of design including color theory. Projects in a variety of media focus on compositional organization and the development of design skills.
Prerequisite(s): Take ENG 032 , MAT 032 , RDG 100 with a minimum grade of “C” required.
- Design Elements: Line, Shape, Value, Color, Space, Texture (Illusionary), Time
- Design Organization: Harmony, Balance, Proportion, Dominance, Movement, Economy, Contrast, Emphasis, Repetition, Rhythm, Direction, Grid, Pattern, Figure/Ground
- Black & White Media: Pencil, Marker, Ink, Collage, Acrylic Paint
- Color Media: Collage, Acrylic Paint
- Prang/Artist’s Color System
- Color Harmonies/Schemes: Complementary, Analogous, Triadic, Split Complementary, Double Split Complementary (Tetradic)
Textbook information can be found on the Book Inn Web site www.sccsc.edu/bookstore
- Art Supplies (instructor will provide a list of required supplies the first day of class).
- Additional supplies may be suggested by instructor over the course of the semester.
An overall grade of C or higher is required for transferability.
A 90 - 100
B 80 - 89
C 70 - 79
D 60 - 69
F 0 - 59
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Identify, use, and explain the basic vocabulary and concepts associated with two-dimensional design.
- Create projects in non-representational format that demonstrate a working knowledge of the elements of art, principles of design, color theory, and basic two-dimensional materials and processes.
- Establish standards of craftsmanship and presentation.
- Demonstrate written and oral communication skills through formal analysis, critique, and self-assessment.
For SCC Online Courses:
If the course you are taking is online, please review the SCC Online Policies that include:
- Required materials for all online courses
- Mandatory Attendance Requirement
- Proctored Exams
Standard SCC Course Policies:
Please review the Standard SCC Course Polices on the following topics:
- Academic Integrity
- Academic Misconduct
- Add/Drop period
- Appeals Process
- Class Attendance
- Classroom Behavior (traditional and online)
- Classroom Conduct/Expectations
- Lab Procedures (general SCC policy regarding this)
- Online Confidentiality
- Services For Students with Disabilities
- Withdrawal Policy
Official Course Syllabus