May 20, 2019
BAF 101 - Personal Finance
Class: 3 Credits: 3
This course includes the practical applications of concepts and techniques used in managing personal finances. Major areas of study include financial planning, budgeting, credit use, housing, insurance, investments, and retirement planning.
Prerequisite(s): Take MAT 032 , ENG 032 , RDG 032 with a minimum grade of “C”.
- Personal Financial statements
- Time Value of money
- Personal taxes
- Managing Cash and savings
- Automobile and housing decisions
- Consumer credit
- Insurance needs
- Investment objectives
- Retirement and estate planning
Textbook information can be found on the Book Inn Web site www.sccsc.edu/bookstore
- Online component access code (see instructor for details)
An overall grade of C or higher is required for transferability.
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Define personal financial goals.
- Prepare personal financial statements.
- Solve the time value of money concepts.
- Prepare personal taxes.
- Develop a savings strategy.
- Develop a plan for a home buying and purchase or lease alternatives for selection of a vehicle.
- Calculate insurance needs.
- Describe retirement needs and estate planning.
For SCC Online Courses:
If the course you are taking is online, please review the SCC Online Policies that include:
- Required materials for all online courses
- Mandatory Attendance Requirement
- Proctored Exams
Standard SCC Course Policies:
Please review the Standard SCC Course Polices on the following topics:
- Academic Integrity
- Academic Misconduct
- Add/Drop period
- Appeals Process
- Class Attendance
- Classroom Behavior (traditional and online)
- Classroom Conduct/Expectations
- Lab Procedures (general SCC policy regarding this)
- Online Confidentiality
- Services For Students with Disabilities
- Withdrawal Policy
Official Course Syllabus