Feb 23, 2019
BIO 100 - Introductory Biology
Class: 3 Lab: 3 Credits: 4
This is a course in general biology designed to introduce principles of biology. Non-degree credit
Prerequisite(s): Take RDG 100 and MAT 032 minimum grade of “C”.
- The essential parts: atoms, molecules and cells
- The fundamental building blocks
- The biological molecules
- The utilization of energy and its transformations
- Genetics and cellular division
- The structure and function of the integumentary system
- The structure and function of the skeletal system
- The structure and function of the muscular system
- The structure and function of the digestive system
- The structure and function of the urinary and reproductive system
- The structure and function of the of the respiratory system
Textbook information can be found on the Book Inn Web site www.sccsc.edu/bookstore
- Safety glasses (OSHA approved)
- Vocabulary Folder
- Lab coat (optional).
A 90 - 100
B 80 - 89
C 70 - 79
D 60 - 69
F 0 - 59
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Interpret science as a way of learning using the scientific process.
- Identify the essential part of atoms, molecules, and cells.
- Demonstrate proper safety in the laboratory.
- Properly use and maintain the compound microscope.
- Use metric units and readily convert between units.
- Describe energy and its transformations.
- Examine how genetics works and cell division.
- Identify human anatomy and physiology.
For SCC Online Courses:
If the course you are taking is online, please review the SCC Online Policies that include:
- Required materials for all online courses
- Mandatory Attendance Requirement
- Proctored Exams
Standard SCC Course Policies:
Please review the Standard SCC Course Polices on the following topics:
- Academic Integrity
- Academic Misconduct
- Add/Drop period
- Appeals Process
- Class Attendance
- Classroom Behavior (traditional and online)
- Classroom Conduct/Expectations
- Lab Procedures (general SCC policy regarding this)
- Online Confidentiality
- Services For Students with Disabilities
- Withdrawal Policy
Official Course Syllabus