Feb 23, 2019
BIO 102 - Biological Science II
Class: 3 Lab: 3 Credits: 4
This course is a study of the classification of organisms and structural and functional considerations of all Kingdoms (Particularly major phyla as well as viruses). Vertebrate animals and vascular plants are emphasized.
Prerequisite(s): Take BIO 101 with a minimum grade of C.
- Evolution of Life
- Diversity of Life
- Plant Life
- Animal Life
- Ecology of Life
Textbook information can be found on the Book Inn Web site www.sccsc.edu/bookstore
Any additional materials may be provided by the Instructor.
A 90 - 100
B 80 - 89
C 70 - 79
D 60 - 69
F 0 - 59
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Describe anatomical structures and life cycles of Viruses.
- Identify characteristics for Domain Bacteria and Domain Archaea.
- Identify classification systems and characteristics for Kingdom Protista, Kingdom Fungi, Kingdom Plantae, and Kingdom Animalia, placing representative organisms within the correct classification system.
- Describe the scope of ecology including the demographics of populations, growth models regulation of population size and life history patterns.
- Discuss the history of evolutionary thought, methods by which populations evolve, speciation, and evidences of macroevolution.
- Prepare and present a scientific presentation on an aspect of biology.
For SCC Online Courses:
If the course you are taking is online, please review the SCC Online Policies that include:
- Required materials for all online courses
- Mandatory Attendance Requirement
- Proctored Exams
Standard SCC Course Policies:
Please review the Standard SCC Course Polices on the following topics:
- Academic Integrity
- Academic Misconduct
- Add/Drop period
- Appeals Process
- Class Attendance
- Classroom Behavior (traditional and online)
- Classroom Conduct/Expectations
- Lab Procedures (general SCC policy regarding this)
- Online Confidentiality
- Services For Students with Disabilities
- Withdrawal Policy
Official Course Syllabus