Oct 21, 2020
BIO 240 - Nutrition
Class: 3 Credits: 3
This course is an introduction to the essential aspects concerning the science of nutrition. Particular emphasis is on the classes of nutrients and their physiological uses in the body. Body energy requirements and the nutritional status of the world are considered.
Prerequisite(s): Take MAT 101 or MAT 152 or MAT 103 , and ENG 100 , RDG 100 , and (BIO 100 or CHM 100 or High School Biology or High School Chemistry) with a minimum grade of “C”.
Textbook information can be found on the Book Inn Web site www.sccsc.edu/bookstore
Any additional resources (handouts) will be provided to the Student by the Instructor.
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Identify diet and lifestyle factors important in promoting health and preventing disease.
- Identify and explain energy nutrients and the role of energy balance on health.
- Define the micronutrients, vitamins and minerals.
- Describe the role of water, vitamins and minerals in promoting growth, development and maintenance of the body and in regulating body processes.
- Describe the relationship between nutrition and fitness, sports and eating disorders.
- Describe nutrition as it relates to specific life stages.
For SCC Online Courses:
If the course you are taking is online, please review the SCC Online Policies that include:
- Required materials for all online courses
- Mandatory Attendance Requirement
- Proctored Exams
Standard SCC Course Policies:
Please review the Standard SCC Course Polices on the following topics:
- Academic Integrity
- Academic Misconduct
- Add/Drop period
- Appeals Process
- Class Attendance
- Classroom Behavior (traditional and online)
- Classroom Conduct/Expectations
- Lab Procedures (general SCC policy regarding this)
- Online Confidentiality
- Services For Students with Disabilities
- Withdrawal Policy
Official Course Syllabus