Mar 19, 2019
CHM 100 - Introductory Chemistry
Class: 3 Lab: 3 Credits: 4
This is an introductory course in general chemistry and principles of chemistry. Emphasis is placed on mathematical solutions and laboratory techniques. A minimum grade of “C” is required in order to receive credit in this course. (Non-Degree Credit)
Prerequisite(s): Take RDG 032 and (MAT 101 or MAT 152 ).
- The chemical world
- Measurement and problem solving
- Matter, energy, atoms, and elements
- Molecules, compounds, and chemical reactions
- Chemical composition and quantity
- Electrons in atoms and the periodic table
- Chemical bonding
- Gases, liquids, solids, and intermolecular forces
- Solutions, acids and bases
- Organic Chemistry
Textbook information can be found on the Book Inn Web site www.sccsc.edu/bookstore
- Homework folder
- Safety glasses (OSHA approved)
- Scientific calculator
- A lab jacket may be useful.
A 90 - 100
B 80 - 89
C 70 - 79
D 60 - 69
F 0 - 59
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Demonstrate the use of science and technology.
- Illustrate the mathematical aspects of chemistry.
- Describe and explain the modern atomic theory and periodic table.
- Describe the electronic structure of and the bonding between atoms.
- Differentiate between the types of chemical reactions and intermolecular forces.
- Differentiate between acids and bases.
- Describe and identify organic compounds.
For SCC Online Courses:
If the course you are taking is online, please review the SCC Online Policies that include:
- Required materials for all online courses
- Mandatory Attendance Requirement
- Proctored Exams
Standard SCC Course Policies:
Please review the Standard SCC Course Polices on the following topics:
- Academic Integrity
- Academic Misconduct
- Add/Drop period
- Appeals Process
- Class Attendance
- Classroom Behavior (traditional and online)
- Classroom Conduct/Expectations
- Lab Procedures (general SCC policy regarding this)
- Online Confidentiality
- Services For Students with Disabilities
- Withdrawal Policy
Official Course Syllabus