IST 166 - Network Fundamentals
Class: 3 Credits: 3
This course is a study of local area networking concepts through discussions on connectivity, communications and other networking fundamentals. The course is designed to prepare the student to be successful in completing industry network fundamental certification exams.
Prerequisite(s): Take RDG 032 , ENG 032 , MAT 032 with a minimum grade of “C”.
- Network Devices
- Network Addressing
- Network Services
- Wireless Technology
Textbook information can be found on the Book Inn Web site www.sccsc.edu/bookstore
- Optional 3 ring binder for lab manual
An overall grade of C or higher is required for transferability.
A 90 - 100
B 80 - 89
C 70 - 79
D 60 - 69
F 0 - 59
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Determine appropriate networking components and security standards based upon given network requirements.
- Troubleshoot basic wired and wireless networks.
- Assign an appropriate IP address, subnet mask and default gateway to a device based on IP addressing requirements
- Build a secured home/small office network consisting of a router, a wired and a wireless client.
For SCC Online Courses:
If the course you are taking is online, please review the SCC Online Policies that include:
- Required materials for all online courses
- Mandatory Attendance Requirement
- Proctored Exams
Standard SCC Course Policies:
Please review the Standard SCC Course Polices on the following topics:
- Academic Integrity
- Academic Misconduct
- Add/Drop period
- Appeals Process
- Class Attendance
- Classroom Behavior (traditional and online)
- Classroom Conduct/Expectations
- Lab Procedures (general SCC policy regarding this)
- Online Confidentiality
- Services For Students with Disabilities
- Withdrawal Policy
Official Course Syllabus