Sep 30, 2020
ART 101 - Art History and Appreciation
Class: 3 Credits: 3
This is an introductory course to the history and appreciation of art, including the elements and principles of the visual arts.
Prerequisite(s): Take ENG 100 and RDG 100 .
- Aesthetics and Criticism
- Style (Form, Context, and Content)
Textbook information can be found on the Book Inn Web site
- Access to a computer with Microsoft 2007 or equivalent
- Ability to format documents in .doc, .docx, .rtf or .html
- Internet access
An overall grade of C or higher is required for transferability.
A 90 - 100
B 80 - 89
C 70 - 79
D 60 - 69
F 0 - 59
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Define the elements of art and principles of design.
- Differentiate between subject, form, and content, and various artistic media.
- Analyze artworks based on their form and content.
- Evaluate artistic themes in relationship to style, cultural convention, and/or historic period.
For SCC Online Courses:
If the course you are taking is online, please review the SCC Online Policies that include:
- Required materials for all online courses
- Mandatory Attendance Requirement
- Proctored Exams
Face Covering Requirements:
All faculty, staff and students must wear a face mask/covering at all times (absent a medical condition) on all SCC campuses when safe social distancing measures are not possible or difficult to follow. For further details, refer to the Student Guidelines for Face Coverings and Social Distancing on the SCC Coronavirus COVID-19 Information page.
Standard SCC Course Policies:
Please review the Standard SCC Course Polices on the following topics:
- Academic Integrity
- Academic Misconduct
- Add/Drop period
- Appeals Process
- Class Attendance
- Classroom Behavior (traditional and online)
- Classroom Conduct/Expectations
- Lab Procedures (general SCC policy regarding this)
- Online Confidentiality
- Services For Students with Disabilities
- Withdrawal Policy
Official Course Syllabus