Sep 30, 2020
AOT 213 - Legal Document Production
Class: 3 Credits: 3
This course introduces legal terminology and covers the production of documents found in the legal office environment. Emphasis is on productivity and excellence in legal document production.
Prerequisite(s): Take CPT 101 and AOT 141 with a minimum grade of “C”.
Corequisite(s): Take BUS 121 .
- Overview of Areas of Law
- Proofreading, Editing and Accuracy in Legal Documents
- Legal Terminology and Legal Language Focus
Textbook information can be found on the Book Inn Web site
An overall grade of C or higher is required for transferability.
A 90 - 100
B 80 - 89
C 70 - 79
D 60 - 69
F 0 - 59
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Analyze and prepare legal documents to comply with requirements in the appropriate code of civil procedure, any other statutory or regulatory requirements, and requirements of local court rules.
- Devise and employ legal research strategy, manage research time wisely, and understand the value of legal research tools.
- Proofread and edit legal documents.
- Recognize and articulate legal terminology.
- Analyze the elements of legal business communications.
- Recognize the importance and practice the following components of professionalism:
- quality, appearance and thoroughness of work product;
- compliance with ethical responsibilities;
- compliance with local court rules;
- independent thought and work;
- and courtesy to the court, opposing counsel, and all persons involved in the legal process.
For SCC Online Courses:
If the course you are taking is online, please review the SCC Online Policies that include:
- Required materials for all online courses
- Mandatory Attendance Requirement
- Proctored Exams
Face Covering Requirements:
All faculty, staff and students must wear a face mask/covering at all times (absent a medical condition) on all SCC campuses when safe social distancing measures are not possible or difficult to follow. For further details, refer to the Student Guidelines for Face Coverings and Social Distancing on the SCC Coronavirus COVID-19 Information page.
Standard SCC Course Policies:
Please review the Standard SCC Course Polices on the following topics:
- Academic Integrity
- Academic Misconduct
- Add/Drop period
- Appeals Process
- Class Attendance
- Classroom Behavior (traditional and online)
- Classroom Conduct/Expectations
- Lab Procedures (general SCC policy regarding this)
- Online Confidentiality
- Services For Students with Disabilities
- Withdrawal Policy
Official Course Syllabus