Jul 14, 2024  
2023-2024 Catalog 
2023-2024 Catalog Archived

Financial Aid

Financial Aid

Operating Principles

Financial aid programs exist to help students who would be otherwise unable to attend college. In addition to grants and loans, our programs reward students for academic achievements and provide wages for students performing essential college services. To participate in federal student financial aid programs, SCC is required by federal regulation to coordinate the delivery of all funds from all sources to students. Students who receive aid in addition to federal student financial aid are required to report the amount and source to the financial aid office.

When and How to Apply

To determine whether a student is eligible for a federal financial aid program, South Carolina Need Based Grant or Lottery Tuition Assistance, the student and his or her family must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The address for FAFSA on the Web is www.fafsa.gov. The student and parent (if dependent) should apply for an FSA ID and password at fsaid.ed.gov prior to starting FAFSA on the Web so that the application can be signed electronically and tax information can be transferred from the IRS. SCC’s Title IV school code is 003994.

The FAFSA must be completed once per year between October and May for the following school year. The school year consists of the fall semester (begins in August), the spring semester (begins in January) and the following summer semester (begins in May). The priority deadline is May 1.

How Does The Process Work

Complete and file your IRS tax return. Next, approximately two weeks after filing the IRS tax return, complete the FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov and include SCC’s Title IV school code, 003994. Simplify the process by using the IRS Data Retrieval option when tax return data is requested. This saves you time and expedites the application process. After submitting the FAFSA, the student will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR), and SCC will receive an Institutional Student Information Record (ISIR) electronically.

If additional information is needed to complete a student’s file, an email will be sent to the student’s SCC email account. Items needed can be viewed through MySCC Portal in Student Self-Service under the Financial Aid tab. Submit the requested information as soon as possible and make sure all documents are complete and signed.

Once the student has been awarded, an email will be sent to his or her SCC email account. The student can view or print the financial aid award letter and all financial aid award letter inserts through MySCC Portal in Student Self-Service under the Financial Aid tab. The student is advised to read everything thoroughly.

Communication with Students

MySCC Portal provides online services to SCC students such as student email accounts, campus announcements, message boards, calendars and discussion groups. Through Student Self-Service in MySCC Portal, students may access personal records such as class schedules, grades, transcripts and financial aid information, and register for classes as well.

The majority of communications from the Financial Aid Office will be sent to SCC student email accounts. Students must review their email and announcements regularly through MySCC Portal to ensure they have the latest information about their financial aid status.

Determination of Financial Need

SCC’s financial aid programs assist students who have financial need as determined by the federal processor. One of the principles behind need-based aid is that students and their families should pay for educational expenses to the extent they are able. A financial need exists if the resources of the family (expected family contribution or EFC) do not meet the total cost of attending the College. The total cost of attendance (student budget) is an estimate of the total cost a student incurs as a full-time student for the nine-month academic period. These costs include tuition, fees, books, supplies, personal and transportation expenses. Samples of 9 month student budgets for 2020-2021 follow.

Spartanburg County Resident With Parent All Others
Tuition/Fees $4,902 $4,902
Books/Supplies $892 $892
Room/Board $4,725 $12,708
Personal $1,008 $1,008
Transportation $2,484 $2,484

Total $14,011 $21,994
Cherokee County Resident With Parent All Others
Tuition/Fees $4,902 $4,902
Books/Supplies $892 $892
Room/Board $4,725 $12,708
Personal $1,008 $1,008
Transportation $2,484 $2,484

Total $14,011 $21,994
Union County Resident With Parent All Others
Tuition/Fees $5,574 $5,574
Books/Supplies $892 $892
Room/Board $4,725 $12,708
Personal $1,008 $1,008
Transportation $2,484 $2,484

Total $14,683 $22,666
Out-of-County Resident With Parent All Others
Tuition/Fees $6,030 $6,030
Books/Supplies $892 $892
Room/Board $4,725 $12,708
Personal $1,008 $1,008
Transportation $2,484 $2,484

Total $15,139 $23,122

*Out-of-State Resident includes the same components as Out-of-County Resident with the exception of tuition/fees. Tuition/fees are subject to change.

Student Eligibility Requirements

A student must meet the following eligibility requirements to receive federal assistance:

  • Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in an eligible program
  • Be a regular student
  • Be a high school graduate or have a GED
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Not be a member of a religious community that directs the program of study or provides maintenance (except for unsubsidized Direct loans)
  • Be registered with the Selective Service (males only)
  • Not be in default on a federal student loan borrowed for attendance at any institution
  • Not have borrowed in excess of federal loan limits
  • Not owe a repayment on a federal grant or scholarship received for attendance at any institution
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress
  • Not be enrolled concurrently in an elementary or secondary school
  • Provide a valid social security number

Eligible Programs/Courses, Enrollment Status and Repeated Courses

A student must enroll in an eligible program to receive any type of federal aid. General Education Development (GED) and continuing education courses are not eligible courses. Audited classes will not be considered in determining a student’s enrollment status. Students enrolled as a special or transient student in an Admission of Special Applicants Program (ASAP) are not eligible for financial aid or VA benefits. Enrollment status can only consist of those courses required for graduation or as a prerequisite for courses required in the program. The college’s Student Information System will automatically identify classes not required within the student’s program of study. For federal aid programs only, once a student has completed a course two times, that course cannot count in the enrollment status.

The amount in the original award notification is based on full-time enrollment. A student whose financial aid enrollment status is not full-time will have his or her award reduced based on the actual number of financial aid eligible credit hours enrolled. Remember that students who are not full-time do not pay as much for tuition and fees. A student’s enrollment status is determined through the census date of each semester. Adjustments, including complete withdrawal of aid, are made based on the enrollment status through the census date. All the terms in a semester are combined to determine the enrollment status for that semester. Full-time status consists of enrollment in a minimum of 12 credit hours. Three-quarter time status consists of enrollment in 9 to 11 credit hours. Half-time status consists of enrollment in 6 to 8 credit hours. Less than half-time status is enrollment in 1 to 5 credit hours. For federal aid purposes, all credit hours must be financial aid eligible credit hours. There may be a difference between actual credit hours and financial aid eligible credit hours.

How A Student Receives Assistance

A student who applies in time and is eligible can use financial aid award(s) (excluding Federal Work Study, FWS) to pay tuition and fees and to make purchases in the Book Inn. A student may request to “opt out” of purchasing books at the SCC Book Inn and may request an allowance to purchase books and supplies elsewhere by submitting to the business office a Request to Opt Out form by the first day of class for each semester the student wishes to use an allowance. Funds available after tuition, fees, books and/or supply expenses have been paid will be disbursed by the business office. Dates will be printed in the SCC Student Planner & Handbook and in the SCC Enrollment & Registration Guide. For convenience, quick access and safety, sign up for direct deposit. Go through MySCC Portal to WebAdvisor, select Student Financial Information then select Bank Information. All financial aid awards are considered estimated awards until aid transmits to student accounts in the SCC business office.

Students who receive a Federal Work Study award and obtain employment through this program are paid once a month.


Financial aid awards cannot be transferred from one college to another. Students must have the results of the FAFSA released to the new college.

Students transferring to Spartanburg Community College must request a duplicate Student Aid Report (SAR) if the results of the FAFSA have not been released to SCC. SCC’s Title IV school code is 003994. It is the student’s responsibility to notify the financial aid office of prior attendance at another post-secondary school.

Summer Aid

Financial aid for summer is available to those students who qualify and will be awarded separately from the fall and spring semesters. Students do not have to complete another FAFSA just for summer if they have already applied for the previous award year. If a student begins classes during a summer semester, he or she must complete the FAFSA for the current award year and complete the FAFSA for the next award year which begins with the fall semester.

Summer funding is limited and not all funds are available during the summer. Federal Pell Grant is only available if a student has not been enrolled full time during the previous fall and spring semesters. The S.C. Need Based Grant and the S.C. Teacher Loan are not available during the summer semester. The LIFE Scholarship maybe available during the summer semester. Lottery Tuition Assistance is not available if the student received a LIFE Scholarship during the previous fall or spring semester. (See Life Scholarship)

All financial aid awards for the summer 2020 semester can be viewed using Student Self-Service after April 15, 2020.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Federal, state, and institutional regulations require students receiving financial aid to maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP). Financial aid includes, but is not limited to, the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Direct Student Loans, Federal Work Study, all South Carolina State grant programs, and all institutional aid programs. The institution’s SAP evaluation must include two major components: 1) a qualitative measure and 2) a quantitative measure (comprised of progression rate, maximum timeframe, and developmental coursework). These components are explained below. Individual programs may have additional or varying requirements as stipulated by the guidelines of that program. Both the qualitative and quantitative standards are cumulative and include all curriculum classes and periods of enrollment at Spartanburg Community College (SCC) even those for which the student did not receive financial aid funds. For details, see the SAP Policy.

Sources of Financial Aid

(Funding for programs is contingent on federal and state approval. These guidelines may not be inclusive of all eligibility criteria and are subject to change.)

Federal Pell Grant (PELL)

The Federal Pell Grant does not have to be repaid and is a program for students who have not previously earned a baccalaureate degree. Pell Grant is considered the foundation of federal financial aid to which aid from other federal and nonfederal sources might be added.

A student can only receive the Pell Grant for up to 12 full-time semesters. Students can track their remaining Pell Grant eligibility on NSLDS at www.nslds.ed.gov or on the Student Aid Report.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant is a program from which students may obtain up to $4,000 each year depending on their financial need, the availability of FSEOG funds at SCC and the amount of other aid received.

Federal Work Study Program (FWS)

The Federal Work Study Program is a federal student aid program that provides part-time jobs for eligible students. Since positions are limited, students should apply early. Interested students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Follow the instructions on our financial aid website under Types of Financial Aid - Work Study.

South Carolina Need-Based-Grant (SCNBG)

The South Carolina Need Based Grant program is designed to provide additional financial assistance to South Carolina’s neediest students. The maximum award is $2,500 for a full-time student. The FAFSA is the only application required. Cumulative GPA must be at least 2.0 prior to fall term for continuing students. 

For continued eligibility for the next academic year, students enrolled full-time during the fall and spring semesters must earn a minimum of 24 credit hours during the academic year. Students enrolled part-time during the fall and spring semesters must earn a minimum of 12 credit hours during the academic year. Students enrolled in a combination of full-time and part-time during the fall and spring semesters must earn a minimum of 18 credit hours during the academic year. Students must also meet the financial aid office’s satisfactory academic progress policy and maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0. Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), their financial aid file and earn the required credit hours each year while SCNBG funds are still available.

Federal Direct Loans

A Federal Direct Loan is a low interest loan made by the U.S. Department of Education. To determine eligibility, a student must complete a FAFSA and the College’s financial aid process, a Direct Student Loan Request form, a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and entrance loan counseling.

A Subsidized Direct Loan is awarded on the basis of financial need. No interest payments are required before repayment begins or during an authorized period of deferment. The federal government “subsidizes” the loan during these periods by paying the interest for the student.

An Unsubsidized Direct Loan is not awarded on the basis of financial need. The student will be charged interest from the time the loan is disbursed until it is paid in full. If interest is allowed to accumulate, it will be capitalized which means the interest will be added to the principal amount. Then interest will be charged based on this higher amount. Capitalization will increase the amount that must be repaid. If the student chooses to pay the interest as it accumulates, loan payments will cost less.

A student must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours each semester and be in an eligible program. Repayment begins six months after graduating, withdrawing, or dropping below half-time enrollment. This six month period is referred to as a grace period.

The Financial Aid Office will counsel students as to the types of loans for which they are eligible and as to the amount they may borrow. Before a loan is available, the student must complete an online entrance loan counseling session and sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN). Upon graduation or ceasing to be enrolled at least half-time, the student must complete an exit loan counseling session.

Students who borrow Federal Direct Loans have the right to cancel all or a portion of their undisbursed loans. The Financial Aid Office will notify student borrows by email of this right each semester.  Students wishing to cancel by notifying the Financial Aid Office in writing.

For first-time borrower on or after July 1, 2013, there is a limit on the maximum period of time (measured in academic years) that the borrower can receive Direct Subsidized Loans. This time limit does not apply to Direct Unsubsidized Loans. If this limit applies to you, you may not receive Direct Subsidized Loans for more than 150 percent of the published length of your program of study. This is called your “maximum eligibility period.”  The maximum eligibility period is based on the published length of the student’s active program of study in the college catalog. A student’s maximum eligibility period can change if the student changes to a program that has a different length. Direct Subsidized Loans borrowed for a previous program will count toward your current program limit.

Example: The Associate in Science (University Transfer Program) in the 2020/2021 catalog year has a published minimum length of 64 academic weeks. An academic year at SCCSC is 47 weeks. A week is equal to 7 days. The Subsidized Usage Limit for a student who first borrowed after July 1, 2013 in this program would be calculated as follows:

# of days in weeks in program
 ————————————         =             Length (X) 1.5     = Maximum Subsidized Length (nearest tenth)
# of days in Title IV academic
year for the program


64 x 7 = 448
————–                 = 1.36 (program length)    (X) 1.5   =    2.04 (nearest tenth is 2.0)
47 x 7 = 329

For SULA this equates to 1.361-year length and 2 years subsidized loan eligibility.

Once a student loan borrower has reached the 150 percent limitation, his or her eligibility for an interest subsidy also ends for all outstanding subsidized loans that were disbursed on or after July 1, 2013. At that point, interest on those previously borrowed loans would begin to accrue and would be payable in the same manner as interest on unsubsidized loans.

Quick Facts about Loan Subsidy Limits:

1. Students may receive Direct Subsidized loans for no more than 150% of the length of the current academic program.

2. Once a student reaches the 150% mark in a particular program, their future subsidized loan eligibility in that program will end. They may, however, be eligible for unsubsidized loans.

3. A student who reaches the 150% limitation will have their interest subsidy end for all outstanding subsidized loans if the student does not graduate and continues to be enrolled in the same or a shorter undergraduate program. Repayment does not begin, but like unsubsidized loans, the student (rather than the government) would become responsible for interest that accrues from this point forward.

4. Unlike other measures in determining continued aid eligibility, this provision is not affected by the total dollar amount borrowed. Any and all periods of subsidized loan borrowing will count against the 150%-time limit.

5. This policy is in addition to, and not in place of, the lifetime aggregate loan limits that are currently in place.

S.C. Teachers Loan Program (SCTL)

The S.C. Teacher Loan program was established by the State of South Carolina through the Education Improvement Act of 1984 to entice talented and qualified students into the teaching profession and is administered through S.C. Student Loan (SCSL). This loan is cancelled by teaching in South Carolina public schools in an area of critical need.

To receive a SCTL, a student must apply for financial aid by completing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and be considered for all types of aid, including grants and Lottery Tuition Assistance. Students must have a completed financial aid file and then complete the SCTL application process by the June 1 deadline. After this date, applications will be accepted if funding is available.

Eligibility requirements, application process, award amounts, forgiveness and repayment information is available in the financial aid office or online at www.sccsc.edu/financial-aid/types/SCTL.php. For additional information, a student may also visit S.C. Student Loan’s website at www.scstudentloan.org.

Legislative Incentives for Future Excellence (LIFE) Scholarship

The LIFE Scholarship is an academic scholarship funded by the State of South Carolina. All students must meet these eligibility requirements:

  • Have graduated from a high school located in South Carolina, graduated from an approved home-school program as defined in the State Statute, Sections 59-65-40, 45, and 47, or a preparatory high school located outside of the state while the student is a dependent of a legal resident of South Carolina who has custody or pays child support and college expenses of the dependent high school student, and
  • Be a legal resident of South Carolina and a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen, and
  • Have no felony convictions, and
  • Not been adjudicated delinquent, convicted or pled guilty or nolo contendere to any second or subsequent alcohol or drug related offense for one academic year, and
  • Not owe a repayment to a federal or state grant or be in default on any state or federal student loan, and
  • Enroll full-time (minimum of 12 non-remedial credit hours per semester) in a degree, diploma or certificate program.

In addition, a first-time freshman must:

  • Have earned a minimum 3.0 high school cumulative grade point average on the SC Uniform Grading Scale, and
  • Have a calculation date between the date of graduation and no later than June 15, and
  • Submit the final, official high school transcript to the SCC admissions center.

A student may gain eligibility by:

  • Earning a GED diploma if not a high school graduate, and
  • Earning at least 15 credit hours for every semester elapsed since the initial enrollment in a post-secondary institution whether or not enrollment was continuous (students who begin mid-year may receive the award no earlier than their fourth term of enrollment), and
  • Earning a minimum cumulative collegiate GPA of 3.0, and
  • Submitting to the SCC admissions center an official transcript from each post-secondary institution attended

A transfer student must:

  • Earn at least 15 credit hours for every semester elapsed since the initial enrollment in a post-secondary institution whether or not enrollment was continuous, and
  • Earn a minimum cumulative collegiate GPA of 3.0, and
  • Submit to the SCC admissions center an official transcript from each post-secondary institution attended, and
  • Contact the LIFE Scholarship Coordinator in the SCC financial aid office to determine eligibility. Note: transfer students from four-year institutions, must self-identify especially if they were Palmetto Fellows recipients at the prior institution.

Why Do Students Who are Eligible for LIFE Sometimes Not Receive It?

  • To be admitted to SCC, a student must take a skills assessment. Depending on the scores, the student may need to take refresher courses in math, reading or English. These refresher courses are also referred to as “remedial” or “transitional” courses.
  • A student cannot use a LIFE Scholarship until he or she is enrolled in at least 12 non-remedial credit hours during a semester. Remedial courses are not covered by LIFE.
  • If the student needs to take remedial courses, then the LIFE Scholarship can be deferred for up to one year.
  • Zero and 100 level are considered remedial courses. (ENG 032  and RDG 100  are examples.)
  • If the student needs remediation, he or she should discuss all possibilities with the academic advisor. But, the financial aid office does not recommend taking 12 non-remedial credit hours while enrolled in remedial classes. The student may negatively affect his or her ability to renew the LIFE Scholarship.

What are Some Other Things That Students Need to Know about the LIFE Scholarship?

  • A student enrolled in an Associate Degree program and who have an earned minimum of 30 (non-remedial) credit hours and a 3.0 GPA by the end of the spring semester may elect to use one of their remaining two terms of LIFE eligibility for summer. Please note that students are required to be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours during the summer semester to receive LIFE funding. (CHE Proviso 3.5)
  • A student cannot receive LIFE and Lottery Tuition Assistance. If the student received LIFE during a fall or spring semester, he or she cannot receive Lottery Tuition Assistance during the following summer semester.
  • Palmetto Fellows recipients transferring to a two-year institution are not eligible for the LIFE scholarship.  The LTA regulation as noted above applies to students who transfer mid-year who received Palmetto Fellows at prior institution.  However, if you lose your Palmetto Fellows Scholarship at the end of the year, you may be eligible to earn the LIFE Scholarship the next academic year.
  • If eligible, the student must sign a certification form each year.

What if I Graduate Early from High School?

  • Students who complete all requirements for high school graduation prior to the official graduation date in May or June may be eligible to receive the LIFE Scholarship for the spring term if they meet all initial and general eligibility criteria.
  • The following must be submitted to SCC by the last day of the spring term: Submit to the SCC Admissions Center:
  1. An official high school transcript in a sealed envelope. The transcript must include all grades through January and a cumulative GPA based on the S.C. Uniform Grading Policy, and
  2. A letter from your high school principal on the school’s letterhead indicating you have completed all requirements for high school graduation.

Submit to the SCC Financial Aid Office:

  1. The SCC LIFE Scholarship Application for Early High School Graduates.

Questions about eligibility should be addressed to the LIFE Scholarship Coordinator in the SCC financial aid office.

Lottery Tuition Assistance Program (LTAP)

The Lottery Tuition Assistance Program is funded by the State of South Carolina. To be eligible to be awarded LTAP, students must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the College’s financial aid process; qualify for in-state tuition; be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen; be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in a degree, diploma, or certificate program; not owe a repayment to a federal or state grant program; and not be in default on a federal student loan. The amount a student is awarded is based on the number of hours in which he or she enrolls. Students must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours per semester and continue to meet all the eligibility criteria outlined above to remain eligible for the award. If a student has attempted 24 credit hours, he or she must have earned a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 prior to the fall semester of an academic year. A student cannot receive LTAP for more than one certificate, diploma or degree earned within any five year period unless the additional certificate, diploma or degree constitutes progress in the same field of study.

The amount students can use toward tuition and fee charges is based on the amount of these charges remaining on the account after Federal Pell Grant, FSEOG, NGCAP or S.C. Need Based Grant has transmitted to their account. If a student receives the LIFE Scholarship or a tuition waiver, he or she will not receive the LTAP award. If a student’s tuition and fees are paid by VA, he or she will not receive the LTAP award. The LTAP award will be credited to the account before any SCC scholarship, outside scholarship, Federal Direct Loan or SCTL so that students can use these award(s) for books or receive a cash disbursement. Lottery Tuition Assistance cannot be used for books or supplies or be disbursed to the student by check.

S.C. WINS - S.C. Workforce Industry Needs Scholarship

A statewide technical college scholarship program designed to address workforce shortages in South Carolina

The scholarship supplements Lottery Tuition Assistance to help cover any tuition and mandatory fees left after applying all other scholarships or grants.


Students will be eligible to receive the SC•WINS scholarship if they meet one of the following criteria:

  • Criteria One (Major): A student must be receiving a Lottery Tuition Assistance Program Scholarship (LTAP) for the current academic year and majoring in a critical workforce area as defined by the State Board for Technical and Comprehensive Education.
  • Criteria Two (Income): A student must be receiving a LTAP scholarship for the current academic year and meet the USDA income eligibility guidelines for free and reduced-priced meals.

A student must pursue a certificate, diploma or degree from one of the SC Technical College System’s 16 colleges. Students can receive the SC•WINS for only one certificate, diploma or degree unless the additional certificate, diploma or degree constitutes progress in the same field of study.

A student must be enrolled in at least six credit hours per semester.

GPA/Continued Eligibility
A student must have earned at least a 2.0 GPA after attempting twenty-four credit hours. Dual enrollment courses taken in high school in critical workforce area programs count toward the fulfillment of the minimum major course requirement for freshmen.

Changing Majors
Changing majors is allowed within the acceptable disciplines in workforce program areas.

South Carolina National Guard College Assistance Program (NGCAP)

This program was established to provide financial assistance to members of the South Carolina Army and Air National Guard. NGCAP covers the cost of attendance as defined by federal regulations up to a maximum amount each award year. The maximum amount will be determined annually by the S.C. Commission on Higher Education (CHE). Students who have earned a bachelor’s or graduate degree are not eligible.

To qualify, the student must be in good standing with the active National Guard at the beginning of each academic year and remain a member in good standing throughout the entire academic year, maintain satisfactory academic progress, be a U.S. citizen or a legal permanent resident and satisfy additional eligibility requirements as may be promulgated by CHE. The S.C. National Guard is responsible for providing a list of all eligible Guard members to CHE which will in turn notify the College. To be awarded, the student must be on the list from CHE. Students must apply every year between June 1st through August 1st. https://getsmartsc.com

Scholarships and Funds

Academic scholarship funds are raised and managed by the SCC Foundation and awarded based on need, availability, and qualifications through the Financial Aid Office, the SCC Scholarship Committee, and special selection committees. Scholarship and fund applications are located on the college website in the Financial Aid section. More information about the various scholarships and assistance funds available may be found in the financial aid brochure (available in the financial aid office and online), on the SCC Portal, and on the financial aid website at: www.sccsc.edu/financial-aid/index.php.

Other Assistance

Technical/Health Scholars

Students applying for these sponsorships must meet the following requirements:

  • be fully accepted into an appropriate business, industrial or engineering technology or health and human services associate degree program,
  • meet scholars application criteria,
  • agree to comply with all sponsoring employer’s requirements and successfully complete the sponsoring employer’s interview process and other required screenings.

These sponsorships cover all college tuition, fees, textbooks and required supplies and provide paid, part-time jobs for selected students. Sponsoring employers make the final decision on sponsorship recipients based upon employer needs and the student’s qualifications. Students interested in Technical / Health Scholars should contact the SCC career services office.

S.C. Vocational Rehabilitation

South Carolina residents with vocational disabilities may qualify for assistance from the South Carolina Department of Vocational Rehabilitation. In Spartanburg call (864)585-3693.

Free Tuition for Children of Certain War Veterans

A child of a wartime veteran may be eligible to receive this benefit. Eligibility and application information may be obtained from any County Veterans Affairs Office or from the Governor’s Office, Division of Veteran Affairs, 1205 Pendleton Street, Columbia, S.C. 29201. Call (803) 734-0200.

Veterans Assistance

Spartanburg Community College is approved by the State Approving Agency for training service persons, veterans, dependents and reservists under Title 38, U.S. Code of Federal Regulations, for the following VA educational benefits: Active Duty Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 30), Selected Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1606), Survivors and Dependents (Chapter 35), Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31), and the Post-9/11 Veterans Education Assistance Act of 2008 (Chapter 33).

The U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs is the only agency that can determine eligibility for and award this benefit. To determine eligibility, call the VA Regional Office at 1-888-442-4551. Then, contact SCC’s office to obtain the appropriate forms for certification.

In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679 subsection (e), Spartanburg Community College adopts the following provisions for students using U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (CH. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from the VA, SCC will not:

  • Prevent the student’s enrollment;
  • Assess a late penalty fee to;
  • Require student secure alternative or additional funding;
  • Deny their access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution.

However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:

  • Provide Chapter 33 Certificate of Eligibility (or its equivalent) or for Ch. 31, VA VR&E’s contract with the school on VA Form 28-1905 by the first day of class.

#Note: Chapter 33 students can register at the VA Regional Office to use E-Benefits to get the equivalent of a Chapter 33 Certificate of Eligibility. Chapter 31 student cannot get a completed VA Form 28-1905 (or any equivalent) before the VA VR&E case-manager issues it to the school.

  • Provide written request to be certified;
  • Provide additional Information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies.

Academic Requirements

Academic progress will be measured at the end of each term in which the VA student was enrolled. Failure by a VA student to maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 will result in the VA student being placed on academic warning for the next term of enrollment.

A VA student with a term GPA less than 2.0 after the academic warning will be placed on academic probation for the next term of enrollment. If at the end of the probation term the VA student still has a GPA less than 2.0 then the VA student will be placed on academic suspension.

VA students with a term GPA of 2.0 or higher at the end of a probation term, but who still have a cumulative GPA less than 2.0 will remain on academic probation. VA students whose cumulative GPA increase to a 2.0 or higher at the end of their probation term will be taken off of academic probation and placed in a satisfactory status.

A VA student on academic suspension will have benefits suspended and must sit out one academic term. To be readmitted the VA student must meet with the Vice President of Student Affairs or counselor, prior to re-enrollment, to identify strategies to improve his or her academic performance. These strategies will be written up in the form of an academic plan.

Address Changes

VA students must notify the veterans’ affairs office of any address change by completing the address change form.

Advanced Payment Request

VA students should be prepared to pay tuition, fee, book and supply expenses when due; however, they may request advanced payment of the first VA benefit check. To qualify for advanced payment, the VA student must have been out of school for at least a full calendar month, completed the admissions process at SCC and completed a VA advanced payment application at least 45 days prior to the first day of class. The Department of Veterans Affairs mails the check to the College for disbursement at registration. VA students must complete the registration process, including fee payment, before receiving the advanced payment check.

Class Attendance

VA students must adhere to the attendance policy established by the College. VA students who accrue more than the allowable number of absences will have VA benefits terminated.

Drops and Withdrawals

VA students must report course drops or a term withdrawal to the SCC veterans’ affairs office. To ensure timely notification to VA, reports will be run monthly to identify VA students who have dropped courses or withdrawn from the term. At the end of each semester, VA students who receive a grade of “F” and did not complete the semester will have their last date of attendance reported to VA and may have to return funds due to period of nonattendance.

Eligible Courses

VA students may receive benefits only for those courses that are required for graduation or are a prerequisite for courses required in the program of study. When additional courses beyond those courses required for graduation are needed to overcome a grade point deficiency, the additional courses may be approved with required documentation outlined in VA regulations

Internet/Online, Synchronous, Hybrid and Video Courses

SCC offers a variety of course delivery methods within a certificate, diploma or degree program of study. Non-traditional course delivery methods are listed in the semester course schedule and on the College’s web site (www.sccsc.edu). SCC expects students to participate in all instructional activities since these courses are comparable to resident (traditional classroom) courses. SCC requires that each course offered in one of these non-traditional formats meets prescribed academic standards.

Each course delivery method must include

  • a provision for an assigned instructor;
  • a provision for instructor-student interaction on at least a weekly basis and a stipulation that this interaction is a regular part of the course/program;
  • a statement that appropriate assignments are required for completion of the course;
  • a grading system similar to the system used for resident (traditional classroom) courses;
  • a schedule of time required for the course that demonstrates that the student will spend at least as much time in preparation and training as is normally required for resident (traditional classroom) courses.

VA students are paid BAH (housing allowance) based on the SCC campus where they are taking the most classes. 

Nonpunitive Grades/Mitigating Circumstances

Regulations prohibit payment of VA benefits for a course from which the student withdraws. Unless the student submits to VA documentation of mitigating circumstances, the student must repay to VA all the BAH and book monies. Also, the student will owe tuition money back to the college for the pursuit of that course from the start of the term - not just from the date he or she dropped the course.

Prior Credit

VA students who have attended another college must submit all collegiate transcripts to the SCC admissions center for evaluation even if transfer credit is not requested.

Program Changes

VA students who change programs must complete a change of program form in the SCC veterans’ affairs office. Credit hours earned that fulfill requirements in the new program must be transferred as required by regulations.

Remedial Courses/Transitional Studies

Certification for enrollment in remedial courses (zero level and 100 level courses) will be limited to a maximum of 30 credit hours. Exception will be granted only to a student who meets the academic requirements of this procedure and has the approval of the vice president of student affairs or his or her designee.

VA will not pay benefits for enrollment in a remedial class taken online.

Repeated Courses

There is no limit on the number of times a course may be repeated (unless specified in the course syllabi or program handbook that the course may not be repeated) or which a failing grade (or a grade which does not meet the minimum requirements for graduation) was received as long as the grade assigned to the repeated course at the end of the term is punitive.

Tutorial Assistance for Veterans

VA students may receive monetary assistance from the VA to pay for a tutor if one is required.