Dec 10, 2023
ART 101 - Art History and Appreciation
Lecture Hours: 3 Credits: 3
Description: This is an introductory course to the history and appreciation of art, including the elements and principles of the visual arts.
Prerequisite(s): Take ENG 100 and RDG 100 .
- Aesthetics and Criticism
- Style (Form, Context, and Content)
Textbook information can be found on the Book Inn website
- Access to a computer with Microsoft 2007 or equivalent
- Ability to format documents in .doc, .docx, .rtf or .html
- Internet access
An overall grade of C or higher is required for transferability.
A = 90 - 100
B = 80 - 89
C = 70 - 79
D = 60 - 69
F = 0 - 59
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Define the elements and principles of design.
- Differentiate between the three major philosophies of art: realism, expressionism, and formalism.
- Analyze artworks based on their form and perceived content.
- Evaluate universal artistic themes in relationship to style.
For SCC Online Courses:
If the course you are taking is online, please review the SCC Online Course Policies that include:
- Identity Verification
- Required materials for all online courses
- Mandatory Attendance Requirement
- Orientation and Support
- Proctored Exams
Standard SCC Course Policies:
Please review the Standard Course Policies on the following topics:
- Academic Integrity
- Add/Drop period
- Classroom Conduct
- Equal Access
- IT Access
- Online Behavior
- Online Confidentiality
- Services For Students with Disabilities
- Student Concerns
- Student Help Services
Official Course Syllabus