Dec 10, 2023
ENG 102 - English Composition II
Lecture Hours: 3 Credits: 3
Description: This is a (college transfer) course in which the following topics are presented: development of writing skills through logical organization, effective style, literary analysis and research. An introduction to literary genre is also included.
Prerequisite(s): Take ENG 101 with a minimum grade of C.
- Elements of Short Fiction, Poetry, and Drama
- Analysis of Literary Works
- Thesis Statements
- Primary Sources
- Secondary Sources
- Literary Research (MLA)
- Document Design (MLA)
- Standard English Usage
Textbook information can be found on the Book Inn website
- Access to a computer with Windows 2000 or newer
- Capability of formatting documents in Word or RTF.
- Internet access.
An overall grade of C or higher is required for transferability.
A = 90 - 100
B = 80 - 89
C = 70 - 79
D = 60 - 69
F = 0 - 59
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Define and apply the literary elements of short fiction, poetry, and drama.
- Analyze works of literature and present those analyses.
- Defend a thesis with relevant evidence from the primary source.
- Evaluate secondary source material.
- Write a literary research paper in MLA format.
- Compose writings with a minimum of grammatical, mechanical, including spelling, and punctuation errors.
For SCC Online Courses:
If the course you are taking is online, please review the SCC Online Course Policies that include:
- Identity Verification
- Required materials for all online courses
- Mandatory Attendance Requirement
- Orientation and Support
- Proctored Exams
Standard SCC Course Policies:
Please review the Standard Course Policies on the following topics:
- Academic Integrity
- Add/Drop period
- Classroom Conduct
- Equal Access
- IT Access
- Online Behavior
- Online Confidentiality
- Services For Students with Disabilities
- Student Concerns
- Student Help Services
Official Course Syllabus