Dec 10, 2023
PHY 201 - Physics I
Lecture Hours: 3 Lab Hours: 3 Credits: 4
Description: This is the first in a sequence of physics courses. Topics include mechanics, wave motion, sound, heat, electromagnetism, optics, and modern physics.
Prerequisite(s): Take MAT 111 with a minimum grade of C.
- Measurement, Estimating
- Describing Motion:
- Kinematics in One Dimension Kinematics in Two Dimensions; Vectors
- Dynamics: Newton’s Laws of Motion
- Circular Motion; Gravitation
- Work and Energy
- Linear Momentum
- Rotational Motion Static
- Equilibrium; Elasticity and Fracture
- Oscillations and Waves
- Temperature and Kinetic Theory
- The Laws of Thermodynamics
Textbook information can be found on the Book Inn website
- Scientific, graphic calculator (TI series)
An overall grade of C or higher is required for transferability.
A = 90 - 100
B = 80 - 89
C = 70 - 79
D = 60 - 69
F = 0 - 59
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Explain basic physics principles and concepts in kinematics, linear and rotational dynamics, oscillation and wave, and thermodynamics.
- Utilize analytical and logical reasoning in solving scientific problems.
- Utilize effective strategies to collect, verify, and manage information from a variety of sources.
- Demonstrate oral communication skills in collaborative group work and presentations.
- Demonstrate competence in the terminology, mathematics, and scientific methods used within the discipline.
For SCC Online Courses:
If the course you are taking is online, please review the SCC Online Course Policies that include:
- Identity Verification
- Required materials for all online courses
- Mandatory Attendance Requirement
- Orientation and Support
- Proctored Exams
Standard SCC Course Policies:
Please review the Standard Course Policies on the following topics:
- Academic Integrity
- Add/Drop period
- Classroom Conduct
- Equal Access
- IT Access
- Online Behavior
- Online Confidentiality
- Services For Students with Disabilities
- Student Concerns
- Student Help Services
Official Course Syllabus