RES 245 - Advanced Respiratory Skills II
Lecture Hours: 1 Lab Hours: 3 Clinical Hours: 0 Credits: 2
Description: This course includes an in-depth study of pulmonary function and other considerations for pulmonary patients.
- Avoiding lung injury with mechanical ventilation
- Maximizing oxygen delivery and carbon dioxide removal with mechanical ventilation
- Management differences of obstructive vs restrictive lung injuries with mechanical ventilation
- Mechanical ventilation’s effects on the other organ systems of the body
- Troubleshooting alarm situations
- Non-Traditional mechanical ventilation approaches
Textbook information can be found on the Book Inn website
- Four function basic calculator
The standard mathematical procedure of rounding will be applied to arrive at a whole number percentage in the final grade calculation.
An overall grade of C or higher is required for transferability.
A = 90 - 100
B = 80 - 89
C = 70 - 79
D = 60 - 69
F = 0 - 59
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Evaluate mechanical ventilation to avoid lung injury.
- Modify ventilator management to maximize oxygen delivery and carbon dioxide removal.
- Differentiate between obstructive and restrictive lung disease and how each is managed using mechanical ventilation.
- Predict the effects of mechanical ventilation on the organ systems of the body.
- Solve alarm situations involving mechanical ventilators.
- Justify and integrate the use of non-traditional mechanical ventilation approaches.
- Choose the appropriate method to assess the respiratory function of a patient on mechanical ventilation.
For SCC Online Courses:
If the course you are taking is online, please review the SCC Online Course Policies that include:
- Identity Verification
- Required materials for all online courses
- Mandatory Attendance Requirement
- Orientation and Support
- Proctored Exams
Standard SCC Course Policies:
Please review the Standard Course Policies on the following topics:
- Academic Integrity
- Add/Drop period
- Classroom Conduct
- Equal Access
- IT Access
- Online Behavior
- Online Confidentiality
- Services For Students with Disabilities
- Student Concerns
- Student Help Services
Official Course Syllabus