Dec 10, 2023
MAT 160 - Math for Business and Finance
Lecture Hours: 3 Credits: 3
Description: This course includes the following topics: commissions, mark-on, depreciation, interest on unpaid balances, compound interest, payroll, taxes, and graphs.
Prerequisite(s): Take MAT 100 and RDG 100 with a minimum grade of C.
- Percents and their applications
- Payroll and Income Tax
- Installment Buying
- Markups and Markdowns
- Simple interest
- Compound interest
Textbook information can be found on the Book Inn website
- Scientific calculator.
- Any other device must be approved by the instructor of the course.
An overall grade of C or higher is required for transferability.
A = 90 - 100
B = 80 - 89
C = 70 - 79
D = 60 - 69
F = 0 - 59
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Evaluate commissions, mark-up, or mark-down using the percent equation.
- Calculate gross earnings using appropriate financial methods.
- Interpret payroll taxes using IRS tax tables.
- Calculate interest on investments or debts using interest equations.
- Determine the face value needed to achieve the desired proceeds for a simple discount note in an application problem.
For SCC Online Courses:
If the course you are taking is online, please review the SCC Online Course Policies that include:
- Identity Verification
- Required materials for all online courses
- Mandatory Attendance Requirement
- Orientation and Support
- Proctored Exams
Standard SCC Course Policies:
Please review the Standard Course Policies on the following topics:
- Academic Integrity
- Add/Drop period
- Classroom Conduct
- Equal Access
- IT Access
- Online Behavior
- Online Confidentiality
- Services For Students with Disabilities
- Student Concerns
- Student Help Services
Official Course Syllabus